Electrical Monitor

TPCIL’s Krishnapatnam power plant to commission by 2014

EM News BureauWednesday, May 29, 2013, 12:38 Hrs  [IST]

Thermal Powertech Corporation India Ltd has targeted to commission its 1,320-mw power project at Krishnapatnam by the second half of 2014. TPCIL is 51 per cent owned by Gayatri Energy Ventures, a 100 per cent subsidiary of Gayatri Projects Ltd, while Sembcorp Utilities that is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Singapore-headquartered Sembcorp Industries, owns the remaining 49 per cent. An official spokesperson of Sembcorp noted that the 2x660-mw supercritical coal-fired power plant, located in SPSR Nellore district, was currently 65 per cent complete.

Meanwhile, TPCIL recently concluded a power purchase agreement for the offtake of 500 mw from the upcoming power plant. The 25-year PPA was signed with the four state-owned power distribution companies of Andhra Pradesh – Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern. The Sembcorp official confirmed that this was the first PPA signed for the Krishnapatnam project. “We will continue to explore other power purchase agreements, and also plan to sell some power to the pool,” the official said.